The Magic Lantern Cinema Gwynedd
The Magic Lantern has been here since 1893. First built as
the town assembly rooms, it was used for such noble
pursuits as badminton practice and variety performances.
Recently, evidence of very early film showings has been
slowly emerging. We now have new proof of film showings happening here since 1900 – with adverts for showings of footage from the Boar War.
More newpaper adverts from 1905 promote showings featuring footage of motor racing.
This places the Magic Lantern Cinema right at the start of Cinema in the UK – infact we were showing film 9 years earlier than any other operating Cinema in the Britain
- Corbett Square Tywyn Gwynedd Wales LL36 9DF